Friday, February 20, 2009

Tidbits of floss and wood



I think everyone really underestimates the beauty of Carnations. People label them as a generic flower and even get insulted if they receive these instead of roses, but I think their beautiful ruffled petals are lovely. They promote healing and they were given to me by someone really special to me. They make me smile every time I look at them. I plan on drying two of them, and pressing the other two so their beauty will serve me in other crafty ways down the road.

---

So I've been involved in mostly swapping recently, but in taking a break from those projects I decided to poke around with something I've been wanting to do for a while. I've made several wreathes, dream catchers, and even bracelets using branches, but never just a star. I decided to give it a go.




The twigs themselves are pine from my yard. The black and red cord is embroidery floss and the copper bits are some copper sewing thread I have. There's an assortment of beads on there, including some gemstone beads I have (Red Jasper, Hematite, Unakite), silver bells to keep those pesky bad spirits away, the black and gold glass spiral bead at the top, and a small gold toned honey bee.

This little project was really fun, and surprisingly quick. I think if I hadn't been watching television I could have finished quicker though. It now hangs above my main doorway. I've already made several more, but a growing headache will prevent me from sharing pictures this post.

Hope you enjoy.

No comments: