Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Scented Oil and rants.

Yesterday was a "me" day. I ran some really fun errands to two thrift stores and the global market. The global market in this area is all Hispanic and Asian foods and it's a treasure trove for herbs. Yesterday I picked up some Safflower oil, Mullein, Hibiscus, Lavender, Rose petals, and a huge bundle of fresh Rosemary all for a ridiculously reasonable price. Within a 20 mile radius there are only 2 pagan stores. I'm familiar with the owner of one since she was a regular installment at the bookstore I worked at a few years ago. She's the High Priestess of her own coven and tradition and while she's an alright woman she seems like the "crafting only for money" type of gal which is really disappointing. It doesn't matter if I agree with her coven's tradition and beliefs because I'm not a part of it. But the only way to become High Priestess in her tradition is to pay for each step and class, and her prices are not cheap. I think you should earn money for your coven in different ways. But that's just me. Anyway, the point of me talking about this is because I think a lot of pagans get all their supplies from specialty stores. I'm definitely more on the frugal end of things preferring to shop at thrift stores for bowls and containers and such and global markets for herbs. I also grow my own Lavender but its flowering season was over which is why I needed to get some. I only go to the pagan store for things I can't get, like Frankincense or Dragon's Blood or something. I enjoy the thrill and hunt for new things at the thrift store, so I suppose I'm predetermined for it or something.
Anyway, today I decided to work on a scented oil. I wanted it to be flowery but earthy as well. So I added a ton of lovely herbs for just that. I used Rose, Red Sandalwood, fresh Rosemary, Mullein, Hibiscus, Frankincense I then stuck them in a jar with some safflower oil since it has no scent and its rich in vitamin E :). Also despite being slightly windy outside it was still a lovely day so I did all my work outside, to the chagrin of a nosy neighbor who I told I was making potpourri for my mother.
I live in a very uptight neighborhood who frowns upon difference. If you want to plant something new in your front yard, you have to make a request to the Home Owners Assosciation in order to do so. So everything I plant is in the back :).

4 comments:

NoMemoree said...

Wows. Didn't know you've been up to all this. Good job. Loves your work. -NoMemoree

A.R.Spencer said...

I heart you too, sir. Thanks :)

Carolina Gonzalez said...

I've bought my herbs and resins to the local farmers market too - for fifteen years! And for the books, try secondhand bookstores! I really can't remember when was the last time I bought anything at a pagan store.
I absolutely agree with you on the working for money - I do not ask any money from my ahijados for anything! One thing is getting paid for readings about boyfriends and other silliness, and another is transmitting magickal knowledge, which has no prica and can't be paid. My only condition is that I choose my ahijados. There is a big difference between a customer and an ahijado for me... see? I'm ranting too LOL...

Ps- that oils look amazing, very well chosen herbs, I'm sure they will work wonderfully!

sage said...

The oils sound Divine!