Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dark fall scented oils

Today was a pretty lazy day. I slept a while and had strangely vivid dreams. Last night I had a dream involving my old dog, Sam, who passed away 4 or 5 years ago from cancer. Whenever he shows up in my dreams I know two things; that I need to pay attention to what the dream tells me and the dream is going to be violent and crazy. In any dream he's in he provides comfort and solace and he acts like a guardian. It's nice to see him so happy again, with his big brown eyes.
Other than having meaningful dreams I've been lounging around mostly today and poking at the occasional project. Mostly I'm concerned about getting my Halloween costume finished so I've been focused on that. I did take some time today to work on two more oils that I wanted to try. I wanted a dark and full scent and the two I worked on both remind me of the deep mossy crunchy leaves and crisp air of fall.





This oil makes me think of Voodoo, dark and sultry but filled with power. It has fresh Rosemary, Cloves, Orange peel, ground Nutmeg, Cherry bark, and whole Allspice. The scent of the cloves is full and sharp and it lingers in your nose. The cherry bark gives it a bit of earthy sweet, while the dried orange peel gives it a small citrus bite. I love this one, can't wait to see how it turns out.





Now this one is a different kind of dark. It reminds me of a sleeping serpent, slow but strong and slithering through tall grass. It has heaps of Green Tea, Jasmine flowers, Valerian root, Yellow Mustard seed, and Anise. The licorice note of the Anise and the awkward soury sweet of the Valerian root make this scent a little lighter. I'm excited about this one too.

Once again, both the bases of these oils are Safflower oil. I use it because it's odorless, colorless, and rich in vitamin E :)

4 comments:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I am fascinated by making oils! So far I've only done obvious cooking ones (though I've made medicines with herbs and honey this year).

How will you use these two?

A.R.Spencer said...

I'll probably use these for purely aromatic purposes in place of perfume or add them to dry herbs for an herbal bath sachet or even potpourri. I suppose you could use these in an oil warmer, but I haven't tried that yet. I have made a few oils with a more charged purpose such as protection and such, but these new ones are mostly cause they smell nice. I have tried the medicinal stuff such as tinctures which I find truly fascinating as well :)

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I bet they smell fabulous!

A.R.Spencer said...

I sure think so! :)